Monday, March 4, 2013

Malaysia Airlines Redemption: Two Wrong Websites Don't Make a Right

I'm working on a complex itinerary to Borneo for this coming August, and decided to book a business class leg on Malaysia Airlines.  For those of you who don't know, Malaysia Airlines just became a OneWorld partner, meaning award flights are now bookable with American AAdvantage miles.

After the agent confirmed our business class itinerary, I didn't look too hard at the details.  But, this afternoon I decided to select seats and was surprised to find:


  • My email from American Airlines confirmed that I was in U class (business award inventory), but said ECONOMY next to the flight.
  • American Airlines' website showed ECONOMY next to the flight.
  • Malaysian Airlines' website showed an ECONOMY booking.
So, I called American to figure out what was going on.  They confirmed that I was, indeed, booked in business.  I asked to talk to a supervisor, and she finally booked me a business class seat to prove that I was booked in business class, and proceeded to follow up with aa.com, who confirmed it was a web bug.

Argh.

You'd think out of all the parties involved, at least one would get it right.  However, this just stresses the  importance of confirming your flight details and not making assumptions about anything -- especially on award tickets.  And, don't assume the computers are right...

No comments:

Post a Comment